You are here
Back to School Sales Tax Holiday
We’re two weeks away from one of the most anticipated weekends of the year: the Back to School Sales Tax Holiday. Reenacted last year after a three-year dry period, the Sales Tax Holiday will continue this year.
On Aug. 9 and 10, selected items will have no sales tax added to them. These items typically include supplies needed for school such as:
CLOTHES (including shoes)
- $100 or less per item
- Examples: baby clothes, belts, caps, jackets, diapers, helmets, pants, scarves, shirts, skirts, socks, suits
- Excludes jewelry, purses, umbrellas, eyewear, watches
- $1,000 or less
- Examples: batteries, car adaptors, laptops, tablets, flash drives, hard drives, microphones, mouses, printer cartridges, scanners, web cams
- Excludes: cell phones, furniture, accessories, digital cameras, gaming software, surge protectors, TVs
- $20 or less
- Examples: book bags, calculators, chalk, crayons, dictionaries, folders, notebooks, lunch boxes, paper, thesauruses, rulers
- Excludes: books (not children books), briefcases, envelopes
For a full list of all the items included and excluded take a look at the Department of Revenue’s Fact Sheet.
About the Author
Bethany McDaniel is a content specialist for GeorgiaGov. She graduated from Berry College in Rome, GA with degrees in Visual Communication and History.