You are here
Bringing Dogs To The Beach
As summer starts winding down, keep in mind that Georgia beaches pose a great way to escape the continuous Georgia heat without breaking the bank on travel expenses. And no need to reserve a kennel at the vet, feel free to bring Fido along with the rest of the family! Below are some of the best beaches for dogs to visit in Georgia:
- Jekyll Island, off the southern coast of Georgia near St. Simons Island, welcomes dogs on the beach as long as they’re on a leash.
- St. Simons Island allows dogs on leashes (or off a leash if they’re under the immediate control of their handler) during the summer between Beach Access Points 1-6. After Labor Day, dogs are allowed at all the other Access Points as well.
- Tidwell Park at Lake Lanier is a great dock area for launching your boat as well as letting your dog have a blast in the water! Lake Lanier also contains a variety of other areas for leashed dogs to enjoy.
The American Kennel Club provides a few tips for keeping your dog happy and healthy during a beach visit. Some examples include:
- Make sure your furry friend has plenty of water and shade available
- Don’t let your dog drink too much seawater - they can get sick from the salt!
- Dogs can suffer from sunburns just like humans, so make sure you cover their ears and nose with sunblock 30 minutes before going to the beach
- If your dog is out of shape, don’t encourage him or her to run on the beach. Exercise in the sand is strenuous and can result in pulled ligaments or tendons
By visiting the appropriate beaches and keeping these safety tips in mind, you and your dog can have a wonderful summer vacation!
About the Author
A Georgia native, Rachael Wheeler works as a Web Support Specialist for GeorgiaGov. She writes about a variety of current topics relevant to the Georgia government.