You are here
Georgia Facts [Infographic]
Do you know how many counties are in Georgia? What about the number of U.S. Congresspeople? Can you recite the state motto?
Whether you're new to the state, brushing up on some old knowledge or prepping for this week's trivia night, this Georgia Facts infographic is sure to help you out. Take a look and impress your friends with all the Georgia information at your fingertips!
- James Oglethorpe founded Georgia on February 12, 1733, making it the 13th colony.
- Savannah is Georgia’s oldest city.
- Georgia became on official state on January 2, 1788.
- State capitals: Savannah (1777-1785); Augusta (1786-1789); Louisville (1789-1807); Milledgeville (1807-1867; Atlanta (1868-present)
- Brasstown Bald is Georgia’s highest point.
- Hartsfield-Jackson International Airport, in Atlanta, is known as the busiest airport in the world.
- Georgia has 159 counties, the 2nd most of any state in the U.S.
- Size: Georgia is the 24th largest state (in land area) and the 9th most populous state.
- Nicknames: The Peach State and the Empire State of the South.
- State Motto: Wisdom, Justice, Moderation
- 16 electoral votes
- 2 U.S. Senators
- 14 U.S. Representatives
- 56 State Senators
- 180 State Representatives
For more on Georgia, see our Facts and Symbols page!
About the Author
Rachel Hart is the User Interface designer for GeorgiaGov. She visually organizes information, and writes blogs on a variety of government-related topics.