Once a flag-stop on the Southwestern Railroad, Byron grew up around freight transport. In thinking of a name for the city, when it incorporated in 1874, its first mayor, C.H. Richardson, chose to honor his favorite poet - Lord Bryon.
At the turn of the 20th century, Byron remained a relatively quiet, agricultural town. By the 1920s, though, the peach industry re-imagined Byron, and as trains whisked in and out of the city, carrying loads of peaches with them, Bryon grew quickly.
Today, Byron's attractions include an abundance of commercial outlets, quaint antique shops and restaurants.