Incorporated on December 26, 1831, Cuthbert, the seat of Randolph County, remembers Colonel John Alfred Cuthbert, an editor, congressman, and judge.
Cuthbert is home to Andrew College, a private Methodist college recognized as the second in the nation to grant degrees to women. During the Civil War, the college also distinguished itself as a Confederate hospital.
In Cuthbert's Greenwood Cemetery are two dozen graves of Confederate soldiers who died at Hood Hospital. These soldiers are commemorated with a life-sized marble sculpture of a confederate soldier.