Darien, the county seat for McIntosh County, incorporated on December 18, 1818. Originally called New Inverness by its Scottish founders, residents changed the name first to Fort Darien and then to Darien. Because the city sits at the mouth of the Altamaha River, Darien earned the title "Queen of the Delta."
During the Civil War, a raid by federal troops nearly burned down the city. After the war, builders reconstructed most of Darien.
Darien is home to a number of historical markers - St. Cyprians Episcopal Church built in 1876 by former slaves, First Presbyterian Church established by the Scottish Highlanders, and Vernon Square, which is listed on the National Register of Historic Sites.