You are here

Elberton

Profile
Incorporated Date: 
December 10, 1803
Population: 
4,653
Total Area: 
4.0 sq mi
Contact Information
203 Elbert St.
Elberton, GA 30635
Phone Number: 
(706) 213-3100
Fax Number: 
(706) 213-3125

Elberton, the county seat of Elbert County, incorporated on December 10, 1803. The city was first called "Elbertville" and named for General Samuel Elbert of South Carolina who fought in the Revolutionary War. Legendary settlers like "Old Dan Tucker", the subject of an American folk tune, and Nancy Hart, the Revolutionary War heroine, claimed Elberton as their home.

Known as "The Granite City", Elberton produces more granite monuments than any other city in the world. There are an estimated thirty-seven granite quarries where the famous Elberton blue-gray granite is quarried.

Other attractions in the city include the Granite Museum and Exhibit, the Bicentennial Memorial and Fountain and the Georgia Guidestones. The Georgia Guidestones is a 19-foot high granite monument, located in a field just north of Elberton, which proclaims a message for the conservation of mankind in 12 languages.