In 1865, three intrepid brothers, J.R., R.A., and William Hosch, built the first store in what is now Hoschton. In 1880, with the promise of a railroad at hand, R.A. and J.R. Hosch decided to establish a town. The brothers hired surveyors and held a sale of lots. They also bought and gave, for the use of Hoschton citizens, land on which to build the town square, a church, a school and a cemetery. Fittingly, the city name honors the Hosch brothers.