Once a house of the state capital, Louisville, the county seat of Jefferson County, incorporated in 1786. The city remembers King Louis XVI of France, a colonial supporter and financier during the American Revolution.
The Jefferson County courthouse, built in 1904, stands on the site of Georgia's first permanent capitol. The courthouse is listed on the National Register of Historic Places.
In terms of its grid plan of streets and squares, Louisville shares a similar layout to that of Philadelphia. The Old Market House, the county's major tourist attraction, dates to the 1790s and served as the commercial center for the region during Louisville's tenure as the state capital.