Monroe, the Walton County seat, remembers fifth U.S. President, James Monroe. Nicknamed the "City of Governors", the city has seen four of its residents go on to serve as Georgia governors.
The fully restored Walton County courthouse lies in the center of Monroe's Historic District. The Davis Edwards House, an 1845 Greek Revival with period furnishings and a brick kitchen, is also in the district. Another historic site of interest is the McDaniel-Tichenor House, home of former Georgia governor Henry D. McDaniel. The home, listed on the National Registry, is now open by appointment only.