Once a shipping post on the Western and Atlantic Railroad, Ringgold, the Catoosa County seat, organized in 1847. The city honors Major Samuel Ringgold, who died fighting in the Battle of Palo Alto, the first major fray of the U.S.-Mexican War.
The Ringgold Depot, built in 1850, is one of the few antebellum railroad depots in Georgia. The depot, once used in the Civil War as a supply point for Confederate troops, now houses the Ringgold Opry, which features bluegrass performances. Also of interest is the Old Stone Museum Church, built around 1849, which heard the first performance of the famous gospel hymn "Leaning on the Everlasting Arms." Used at one time as a Civil War hospital, the church has since been restored and houses a Civil War Museum.