During the Civil War and for some years after, Van Wert, a town settled by Welsh miners in 1838, held place as a bustling business center in Polk County. Naturally, then, when railroad planners first began speaking about running track through the county, they immediately thought of Van Wert, a town of slate and rock quarries, as the logical place for the Southern Railway depot.
As it turns out, however, railroad planners took advantage instead of a grant they saw no reason to refuse. A wealthy landowner, Colonel Seaborn Jones, offered the railroad land and money to build a station one mile west of Van Wert, in the area that became Rockmart.
Incorporated in 1872, Rockmart grew up around the railroad. The city takes its name from the area's Rock Market, one that boasted an abundance of slate, limestone, iron shale, and clay.
Among Rockmart's attractions is the Seaborn Jones Memorial Park, which shares with its visitors the Euharlee Creek and the Silver Comet Trail, the popular running and cycling route that winds more than 60 miles from Smyrna to the Alabama border.