Stephens County was one of four counties the state legislature created on the same day in August 1905. Its land was taken from Habersham and Franklin counties. The name honors Alexander Hamilton Stephens, vice president of the Confederacy. He served one year as governor of Georgia before dying in 1882. Toccoa, the county seat, is a Cherokee word meaning "lovely water."