Talbotton, the county seat of Talbot County, incorporated on December 20, 1828. The city and county remember Governor Mathew Talbot.
On January 26, 1846, the Georgia Supreme Court called into order its first session at the old Claiborne Hotel in Talbotton. At the hotel, the state's first 15 attorneys qualified to practice law.
Talbotton, located on U.S. 80, is seven miles from Big Lazer Creek Wildlife Management Area. The area maintains a public fishing lake, a picnic area, a boat ramp and primitive camping sites.