You are here

Georgia Department of Driver Services

The Georgia Department of Driver Services serves the public by offering commercial and regular passenger vehicle driver’s licenses, driver's permits, and state identification cards.


2206 Eastview Pkwy.
Conyers, GA 30013

Phone Number: 



What steps do I take to earn my learner's permit or first driver's license?

Read an article about the vision, knowledge and road skills exams, and the driver's education requirement for teens.

What documents do I need to present to get a driver's license or ID card?

When you visit a DDS Customer Service Center, you'll need:

  • Your birth certificate, your current US passport, or other proof of citizenship
  • Your Social Security Card or other verification of your Social Security Number
  • Two proofs of residence (recent utility bills, bank statements, and rental contracts all work)
  • Your Permanent Resident Card, if you’re not a citizen
  • Proof of a legal name change, if you've had one

In some cases, you may need to present additional documentation. To learn more about the documents you'll need, visit the SecureID Checklist Wizard.

I’m a new state resident. What will I need to do to transfer my license?

To apply for a license, you should schedule an appointment and gather your current out-of-state license, Social Security number, proof of Georgia residency (bank statements, utility bills, and rental contracts all work), and proof of identity (birth certificates, passports, or immigration ID cards). At the appointment, you’ll surrender your former license, pay the license fee, and receive a temporary license. Your permanent license will arrive by mail just a few weeks later.

How can I change my address or name on my license, and is there a deadline for requesting these changes?

Generally, you can change your address for free either online or in person once during your current license period. If you're within 5 months of your license expiration, however, you'll still need to pay the new license fee. Make sure your local postal office notes the address change on postal records before you go to the Customer Service Center; DDS uses these postal records to verify that address change.

You can change the name on your license only by visiting a Customer Service Center in person.

Within 60 days of an address or name change, you must update your driver’s license, driver's permit, or ID card.