You are here

Georgia Department of Human Services

To promote stronger families, the Georgia Department of Human Services investigates child and elderly abuse, facilitates adoption and foster parenting, accepts applications for Medicaid, assists single parents in collecting child support, helps senior citizens remain self-sufficient, and runs the Food Stamp and Temporary Assistance to Needy Families (TANF) programs.


2 Peachtree St. NE
Atlanta, GA 30303

Phone Number: 



What are the steps I take to file for child support?

  1. Apply online and pay the $25 fee by credit card, money order, or personal check. If you receive benefits from Temporary Assistance to Needy Families (TANF) or Medicaid, you can apply for free.
  2. Find the parent who doesn't have custody. Where does that parent live and work?
  3. Confirm that the mother or father is legally recognized as a parent. If you aren't sure who your child's father is, the Division of Child Support Services will help you set up an appointment for genetic testing.
  4. File a support order.

How do I apply for Medicaid?

You'll need to submit a completed application to your local Division of Family and Children Services, DHS office, by mail, telephone, fax, or email.

How do I apply for food stamps, TANF or CAPS?

Apply for all of these benefits online at Georgia Gateway.