You are here

Applying for Temporary Assistance for Needy Families (TANF)

March 27, 2012
Mother and child

Temporary Assistance for Needy Families, also known as welfare, offers monthly cash assistance to struggling families with children. Managed by the Department of Human Services' Division of Family and Children Services, TANF supports parents either hoping to start work or looking for higher-paying jobs.

To qualify for TANF, you need to be either a U.S. citizen or lawful resident alien, and you need to have a Social Security number. During the time your family receives assistance, you can also apply for and accept other benefits, such as child support, food stamps and unemployment compensation.

To apply for assistance, contact your local DFCS office. Staff will explain to you the income limits for eligibility and walk you through all program requirements. Once you’re approved for assistance, you’ll work with DFCS staff on a plan that outlines what your employment goals are and what steps you’re going to take to reach those goals.

As long as you work on that plan, you can accept assistance for up to four years in Georgia. In certain cases, you may be eligible to apply for extended assistance.

Learn more about TANF to see how it can help your family.

You might like...

August 10, 2018

What qualifies an assistance dog and where can they go?

May 17, 2018

With parenthood comes a whole new world of responsibility. In this post, you’ll find safety tips, childcare options, financial assistance, and even the chance to win big for your child’s future.

December 12, 2017

Georgia is #11 in the U.S. with opioid overdose deaths. Fortunately, we have the education and training to slow down this terrible disease and save the lives of our loved ones.