You are here

Understanding & Preventing Foreclosures

March 29, 2012
Foreclosure sign

Facing foreclosure? Don’t worry — several state agencies can help you understand and help prevent it from happening.

The Attorney General's office provides general guidance on foreclosure cases. So too does the Department of Banking and Finance. The Department of Community Affairs works with HomeSafe Georgia to provide mortgage assistance to homeowners who've either lost their jobs or suffered substantial cuts in income. Depending on your situation, you may be eligible to apply for this help.

If you're not eligible for HomeSafe Georgia and still want help finding housing, you can look for rental assistance offered around the state.

If you feel that your lender has wrongfully foreclosed on your property, contact a private attorney or your local legal aid organization.