You are here


May 5, 2015
The gold dome of the Georgia Capitol.

It almost sounds like a quiz you’d find in a magazine: can you spot the differences between a building authority and a property commission?

As we’ve mentioned before, state agency names can get really confusing really fast. Where does the authority of one agency end and the next begin? Let’s take a moment and define the main differences between the Georgia Building Authority and the Georgia State Properties Commission:

Georgia Building Authority

GBA is responsible for almost everything that goes on around Capitol Hill in Atlanta. Parking services for state employees? Managed by GBA. Public events held on Capitol grounds? Brought to you by GBA. How about the cafeteria and catering services for everyone who works for the state up on the hill? You guessed it: GBA. Even if you would like to purchase a flag that’s flown over Capitol Hill, you’ll be contacting the Georgia Building Authority and paying a fee of $25. If you’re curious about the other various services you can utilize through GBA, check out their FAQ list.

Georgia State Properties Commission

The purpose of SPC is to give information and services to county and local governments, state agencies and the general public. What does that mean exactly? SPC works with GBA to lease property and building spaces to government entities on Capitol Hill. In addition to this (and not in association with GBA), SPC leases and sells property to private citizens and organizations, and also purchases land from citizens as the needs of Georgia arise. If you want to dig a little deeper on the ins and outs of property and leasing details with SPC, feel free to check out their property FAQ list and leasing FAQ list.

Ready for a review of what we’ve just learned? Here we go:

Who do you contact if you would like to hold a public event on Capitol Hill? GBA.

Where do you go if you want to bid on State-owned property for sale? SPC.

Who do you talk to if you’re a state employee and have a question about parking? GBA.

Who do you contact if you’re with a state agency who is having problems leasing from a private entity? SPC.

There you have it! We’ve covered the basics of the Georgia Building Authority and the State Properties Commission. If you would like more information on these two agencies, visit the GBA website or the SPC website.

About the Author

A Georgia native, Rachael Wheeler works as a Blogger for GeorgiaGov. She writes about a variety of current topics relevant to the Georgia government.

You might like...

April 11, 2018

The 2020 Census is quickly approaching and Georgia is ready to lead the way! The Governor’s Office of Planning and Budget has launched Georgia’s first Census website to help you understand the Census, its benefits, and how you can get involved.

September 19, 2017

COMPASS has been replaced by Georgia Gateway. This new integrated benefits system brings together Childcare and Parents Services (CAPS); PeachCare for Kids®; Supplemental Nutrition Assistance Program (SNAP/Food Stamps); Temporary Assistance for Needy Families (TANF); Women, Infants, and Children (WIC); and Medicaid programs.

September 14, 2017

When someone faces a brain or spinal injury, they often need more support than the initial hospital costs. The Georgia Brain and Spinal Injury Trust Fund sets out to meet these continued needs.