Danielsville, incorporated November 27, 1817, is the county seat for Madison County. The city remembers General Allen Daniel, an officer of the militia, who also served as captain in the Revolutionary War.
The Madison County courthouse, constructed in 1901, is listed on the National Register of Historic Places. The town grew around the courthouse, which was built in the Romanesque Revival style.
Dr. Crawford W. Long, the physician who introduced the use of ether as a surgical anesthetic, hails from the area. His statue sits in the courthouse square.