Apply for SNAP (Supplemental Nutrition Assistance Program)

SNAP benefits, also known as food stamps, provide any eligible citizen monthly funds to buy groceries. 

*If you need help reading this information or communicating with us, ask us or call 1-877-423-4746. Our services, including interpreters, are free. If you are deaf, hard-of-hearing, deaf-blind or have difficulty speaking, you can call us at the number above by dialing 711 (Georgia Relay).

Anyone may apply for the Supplemental Nutrition Assistance Program (SNAP), also known as food stamps. The program helps households who have limited income and resources. A household may be one person living alone, a family, or several unrelated individuals cohabiting who buy and prepare meals together. SNAP can be used to buy food from any store with the EBT/Quest sign.

Senior SNAP

If you are over age 60, your household has a permanent fixed income, such as Social Security Income, and members of your household are not working, you may qualify for Senior SNAP. To find out more, call the Division of Family and Children Services (DFCS) at 877-423-4746. If you are deaf or hard of hearing, please call GA Relay at 800-255-0135. These services are free.

Getting your SNAP benefits quickly

If you have little or no income, you may qualify to get benefits within 7 days, also called expedited benefits. To find out if you qualify, visit the DFCS FAQ web page or call DFCS at 877-423-4746. If you are deaf or hard of hearing, please call GA Relay at 800-255-0135. These services are free.

How Do I … Apply for SNAP (Supplemental Nutrition Assistance Program)?

  • Gather What You’ll Need

    You will need to provide the following information about yourself and all household members:

    • Proof of Identity
    • Date of Birth
    • Social Security Number
    • Citizenship or immigration status
    • Employment status and income
    • Criminal background, if any (Examples: probation, parole, felony conviction)
    • Proof of household income (Examples: pay stub, child support payments)
    • Proof of household expenses (Examples: utilities, medical bills, child care receipts)

    Note: You only must provide Social Security Numbers (SSN) and citizenship or immigration status for persons who want to apply for benefits. This information will be used to check the income and eligibility verification system (IEVS). We will also match your information against other Federal, state, and local agencies to verify your income and eligibility, to track wage information and participation in work activities. If a household member does not want to give us information about their SSN, citizenship or immigration status, other household members may still receive benefits. If you are applying for emergency medical services only, you do not have to provide your SSN or information about your immigration status.

  • Apply for Benefits

    Choose your application:

    • Apply online

      You can apply for benefits as well as check and manage your status through Georgia Gateway.

      • Visit the Georgia Gateway website.
      • Create an account or log in with your existing information.
      • Fill out the required information and submit your benefits application.
      • All DFCS locations have computers in their lobbies if you need web access.
    • Apply by mail

      You can mail your completed application to any DFCS office.

      • Find the nearest DFCS office location by city, county or zip code.
      • Mail your completed application to that office.
      • Some offices have separate mailing and physical addresses, so be sure to check the address.
    • Apply in person

      You can drop off your completed application to any DFCS office.

      • Find the nearest DFCS office location by city, county or zip code.
      • Bring your completed application to the office during its operating hours.
      • Some offices have separate mailing and physical addresses, so be sure to check the address.
  • Interview with a Case Manager

    • Once your application is filed, a DFCS case manager will interview you.
    • This may be done in person or over the telephone. 
    • Be ready to answer questions and have proof available about your household’s income, resources, rent or mortgage, and utility costs. 
    • If you don’t have something that’s asked for, let your case manager know. DFCS allows up to 10 days from the interview for you to give that information to your local office.
  • Next Steps

    • Your income, resources and household size will determine the amount of your monthly SNAP benefit.
    • If you receive benefits, an Electronic Benefit Transfer (EBT) card and Personal Identification Number (PIN) will be mailed to you. This can take up to 30 days. 
    • You can check your benefits status by logging into Georgia Gateway or by calling the DFCS.
    • If you believe the decision in your case isn’t fair, you can request a hearing to have your case reconsidered. Contact your local office by mail or over the phone within 10 days of receiving your notice of eligibility.
  • Nondiscrimination Statement

    In accordance with federal civil rights law and U.S. Department of Agriculture (USDA) civil rights regulations and policies, this institution is prohibited from discriminating on the basis of race, color, national origin, sex (including gender identity and sexual orientation), religious creed, disability, age, political beliefs, or reprisal or retaliation for prior civil rights activity. 

    Program information may be made available in languages other than English.  Persons with disabilities who require alternative means of communication to obtain program information (e.g., Braille, large print, audiotape, American Sign Language), should contact the agency (state or local) where they applied for benefits. Individuals who are deaf, hard of hearing or have speech disabilities may contact USDA through the Federal Relay Service at (800) 877-8339. 

    To file a program discrimination complaint, a Complainant should complete a Form AD-3027, USDA Program Discrimination Complaint Form which can be obtained online at:, from any USDA office, by calling (833) 620-1071, or by writing a letter addressed to USDA. The letter must contain the complainant’s name, address, telephone number, and a written description of the alleged discriminatory action in sufficient detail to inform the Assistant Secretary for Civil Rights (ASCR) about the nature and date of an alleged civil rights violation. The completed AD-3027 form or letter must be submitted to: 

    1. mail: 
      Food and Nutrition Service, USDA 
      1320 Braddock Place, Room 334 
      Alexandria, VA 22314; or 
    1. fax: 
      (833) 256-1665 or (202) 690-7442; or 
    1. email: 
      [email protected] 

    This institution is an equal opportunity provider. 

Disclaimer: General This information was prepared as a public service of the State of Georgia to provide general information, not to advise on any specific legal problem. It is not, and cannot be construed to be, legal advice. If you have questions regarding any matter contained on this page, please contact the related agency.

Did you find what you were looking for on this page?