File a Workers’ Compensation Claim

If you are injured on the job, you can file a claim for benefits.

Any worker injured while performing assigned job duties during assigned work hours is covered under the workers’ compensation program and eligible for benefits. 

Workers’ compensation is an accident insurance program paid by your employer which may provide you with medical, rehabilitation, and income benefits. Benefits are paid by the employer’s insurance company, not the State Board of Workers’ Compensation. Please read the Employee Handbook to learn more about each type of benefits.

Your employer’s insurance company has 21 days to investigate the injury and file a report with the State Board of Workers’ Compensation (SBWC). You can file a notice of claim yourself and also request a hearing or mediation to determine benefits. You have 1 year from the date of the reported injury to file a claim with SBWC.

How Do I … File a Workers’ Compensation Claim?

  • Get Prepared

    • Report any accident occurring on the job to your employer as soon as possible. Fill out and submit required paperwork to your employer. Be specific when reporting your injury.
    • Get medical treatment from an authorized physician. It’s important to go to an approved physician for authorized treatment in order to have your medical bills and prescriptions covered by the workers’ compensation program. Your employer can provide you with a list of physicians approved by the Georgia Workers’ Compensation Law or search the SBWC physician database.
    • You may wish to consult a lawyer before submitting a claim. You can find a lawyer through the State Bar of Georgia. Learn more about workers’ compensation law.
  • Gather What You’ll Need

  • Complete a Claim

    • Fill out the WC-14 form as completely as possible. Include your name and address and the complete name and address of your employer and their insurance company. You should explain in detail the nature of your injury and what benefits you are seeking.
    • You also will need to note on the form if you are only seeking to notify SBWC of a claim or if you also want a hearing or a mediation. Learn more about hearings and mediations.
    • File the claim with the State Board of Workers' Compensation. You can submit the forms in person or via mail at the address listed on the form in Section E (“Certificate of Service”).
    • Send additional copies of the form to your employer and their workers' compensation insurance carrier.
  • Next Steps

    • You should receive notification from your employer’s insurance claims office if you were approved for benefits and what those benefits are. You have the right to request a hearing from SBWC if you disagree with the approved benefits or if your claim was denied.
    • Be sure to get the medical treatments or rehabilitation services ordered by your physician or SBWC in order to remain eligible for benefits.
    • In order to remain eligible for benefits, you must return to work when your physician determines you are able, even if you must get a different job as a result of your injury.

Disclaimer: General This information was prepared as a public service of the State of Georgia to provide general information, not to advise on any specific legal problem. It is not, and cannot be construed to be, legal advice. If you have questions regarding any matter contained on this page, please contact the related agency.

Did you find what you were looking for on this page?