Prepare for a Traffic Violation Court Appearance

You can contest your traffic ticket in court.

Traffic tickets are usually issued by local law enforcement. Use the information on your citation to learn more about your traffic violation and court date. Then decide if you want to contest the citation. Please be aware that some traffic violations require a court appearance.

The Department of Driver Services Traffic Court Reference Manual has details on traffic offenses and how they can affect your driving record.

Note: You may wish to consult a lawyer before your court appearance. Find one through the State Bar of Georgia.

How Do I … Contest a Traffic Citation?

  • Confirm Your Court Date

    Confirm your traffic violation and court by looking at “Section IV: Summons” on your traffic citation. On the day of your court appearance, arrive early and go to your assigned courtroom.

  • Appear in Court

    Appear in court on your court date. Do not miss your court appearance. If you miss your court date, the court will ask the Georgia Department of Driver Services to suspend your driver’s license until the case is resolved.

  • Submit Your Plea

    During your court appearance, the judge will hear your plea and make a decision. You can: plead guilty and pay the fine, plead not guilty and request a jury trial, or plead Nolo Contendere (“No contest”). Please read the Georgia Department of Driver Services Traffic Court Reference Manual to learn about the implications of each plea.

  • Receive a Verdict

    If you plead not guilty at your arraignment, the court may schedule a trial to hear your case.

    If the court ultimately finds you guilty, the court will forward notice of the conviction to the Georgia Department of Driver Services. Any points associated with your citation will be placed on your driving record and the case will be closed. See a list of offenses reported to the DDS.

Disclaimer: General This information was prepared as a public service of the State of Georgia to provide general information, not to advise on any specific legal problem. It is not, and cannot be construed to be, legal advice. If you have questions regarding any matter contained on this page, please contact the related agency.

Did you find what you were looking for on this page?