Register a Business with Georgia Department of Labor

Businesses that meet certain qualifications must pay unemployment insurance taxes.

Many businesses in Georgia are liable for payment of unemployment insurance taxes to the Georgia Department of Labor, even if they don’t yet have employees. The Department of Labor has online tools to help you determine if you are liable and set up an account if you are.

You can access the Online Employer Tax Registration on the Department of Labor’s website. After you fill out your business information, you will receive a determination stating if you’re responsible for paying unemployment insurance taxes. If you are, you will receive instructions for setting up an account.

How Do I … Register a Business with Georgia Department of Labor?

  • Get Prepared

    • Know your business structure. A business structure refers to how your business is organized. Structures include a sole proprietorship, limited liability company, limited partnership, and corporation. Your business’s structure may help determine your unemployment insurance tax liability.
    • Select your business name. You will need the official name of your business to determine your liability and set up an account. It is recommended that you reserve your name or register your business with the Georgia Secretary of State before proceeding with the Department of Labor. If you open an account with the Department of Labor before filing with the Secretary of State, and you later find your name is taken, you will have to work with Department of Labor staff to change your business information.
    • Obtain your federal employer identification number (EIN) from the IRS. You cannot proceed without it.


  • Gather What You'll Need

    • Your federal employer identification number (EIN)
    • Your business structure
    • Your business name
    • Your North American Industry Classification System (NAICS) code 
    • The number of full and part time employees your business has, including the owner(s) (this can be 1)
    • The date of first payroll for employees (if applicable)
    • Business mailing address
    • Principal business address
    • Address you want unemployment claims sent to 
    • Contact information of key individuals (these can include the owner, partners, LLC members, CEO, or corporate officers)
  • Determine Your Liability

    Before you set up an account to pay unemployment insurance taxes, you must first determine if you are liable. It is possible you may not be liable to pay at this time.

    1. Access the Online Employer Tax Registration on the Department of Labor’s website and fill out your business information (listed above). 
    2. You will receive a liability determination letter stating if you’re responsible for paying unemployment insurance taxes. If its determined that you are not liable, be aware that you could be in the future.
  • Set Up an Account (If Applicable)

    If it is determined that you are liable, the letter you receive will cite the specific section of law you are liable under. You must immediately set up an account to begin payment.

    1. The letter will contain an account number and pin. Use these to log in to your online portal.
    2. Once logged in, you will find information detailing what you owe. If you should have been paying previously but didn’t register, it is possible you will owe back taxes and a penalty. To avoid this, it is recommended that you check your liability before officially opening your business.
  • Next Steps

    • If you are liable, you will need to pay unemployment insurance taxes either quarterly or annually (depending on your business type).
    • You will pay 2.7% rate for the first 3 years you are in business. After this grace period, your rate will either increase or decrease depending upon the number of claims filed against your company.

Disclaimer: General This information was prepared as a public service of the State of Georgia to provide general information, not to advise on any specific legal problem. It is not, and cannot be construed to be, legal advice. If you have questions regarding any matter contained on this page, please contact the related agency.

Did you find what you were looking for on this page?