Has your name changed?
- If the name on your identity document differs from your current legal name, you must provide document(s) to show your name change history (For example, the name on Birth Certificate does not match to current legal name due to a marriage).
- Documents are required even if your name is correct on your current license/id. (See the complete list of Real ID Documents for additional requirements).
- Customers who hold a valid GA Driver's License or ID Card are to present the original or certified document which supports the most recent name change.
- Customers who are new to Georgia must provide the complete trail of original or certified documents that support ALL name changes.
This page may not reflect temporary changes in response to COVID-19.
Many state organizations have made temporary changes to their operations. To see how the coronavirus affects state services, visit our COVID-19 response section.
How Do I Renew a Driver's License?
- If you already have a Real ID compliant license, you may renew online or via the DDS 2 Go mobile app.
- If your license expired more than 2 years ago, you will have to retake and pass the Knowledge Exam, Vision Exam, and Road Skills Test. (Check Test and Exams for more information.)
- If you are 64 or older, you are required to take and successfully complete an in-person vision screening at each renewal period.
Gather What You’ll Need
- Original documentation showing your identity, residential address, Social Security number, and U.S. citizenship or proof of lawful status in the United States. Photocopies will not be accepted. (Refer to Secure ID for more information.)
- Your current license, ID, or permit.
- Renewal fee, paid for in cash or by credit card (Check fees and terms for more information.)
Create & Submit Application
You can renew your Georgia’s driver’s license online, via the DDS 2 GO app, in person, or by mail (in some circumstances).
- For mail-in renewals, application processing usually takes about 30 days once your complete application package is received. DDS recommends that you submit your completed package at least 60 days before your license expires.
- For online and mobile renewals, your new license will be delivered by mail 30 days after the transaction is completed. If a renewal includes an address change, it generally takes an additional 14-21 days to process in order to validate new addresses.
- Depending on your situation, you may receive your new license the same day if you visit a DDS Customer Service Center.
Department of Driver Services: Office
This information was prepared as a public service of the State of Georgia to provide general information, not to advise on any specific legal problem. It is not, and cannot be construed to be, legal advice. If you have questions regarding any matter contained on this page, please contact the related agency.