- Visit the Secretary of State’s online services page.
- Create a user account.
- Select “name reservation”.
- Fill out your personal information and three desired names, in order of preference.
- Pay the $25 filing fee by approved credit card: Visa, MasterCard, American Express, or Discover.
Processing Time: 7 business days, unless the name reservation request is expedited for an additional cost.
Request by mail
- Download and fill out a name reservation request form.
- Mail the completed form and $35 check or money order to:
Office of Secretary of State
Corporations Division, Name Reservation Request
2 Martin Luther King Jr. Dr. SE
Suite 313 West Tower
Atlanta, Georgia 30334
Processing Time: 15 business days, unless the name reservation request is expedited for an additional cost.
This page may not reflect temporary changes in response to COVID-19.
Many state organizations have made temporary changes to their operations. To see how the coronavirus affects state services, visit our COVID-19 response section.
How Do I Reserve a business name with Secretary of State?
- Learn about the Georgia Secretary of State’s name availability standards. These may help you choose an appropriate, available business name.
- Search existing business names online. You can use the Secretary of State’s online business search to determine if your desired name is taken. This is for research purposes only and is not meant to serve as an official name availability search.
- Pick a business name and decide on a few variations. You’ll have the opportunity to choose three names. That way, if your first choice is already taken, you don’t have to keep reapplying with new names.
Gather What You'll Need
- A form of payment. Depending on how you apply, your form of payment will be one of the following: credit card, check, cashier’s check, or money order.
Fill Out & File an Application
You can file a name reservation online, by mail, or in person. In all cases, the $25 filing fee is nonrefundable.
- Once you file your name reservation, the Secretary of State will perform a thorough name search. If your first name is taken, the agency will continue searching the names you provided in your stated order of preference.
- If one of your names is approved, your name is reserved for 30 days. If you wish to continue reserving your name after 30 days, you will have to reapply and pay an additional $25 fee ($35 if filing in paper format).
- If all three options are taken, you will receive a rejection notice by email, mail, or phone. You then have the option to reapply with three new name options for an additional $25 fee ($35 if filing in paper format).
Secretary of State: Office
This information was prepared as a public service of the State of Georgia to provide general information, not to advise on any specific legal problem. It is not, and cannot be construed to be, legal advice. If you have questions regarding any matter contained on this page, please contact the related agency.